BUTWAL, July 11: The Sundar Glass House in Bhairahawa was set on fire by an accidental fire last night at 9 p.m. The fire had been burning all night and was finally extinguished this morning around 5 a.m. The blaze was brought under control after nearly eight hours thanks to the efforts of more than 15 fire trucks.
According to Police Commissioner Manoj KC, who is Rupandehi’s police chief, the fire is now under control. Police suspect an electrical short circuit caused the fire.
The fire burned down a two-story house and a large plywood warehouse. The security forces with the help of the inhabitants were also able to save a family living on the upper floor of the house as soon as the fire broke out. According to Sundar Agrahari, the owner of the house and the operator of the plywood warehouse, more than Rs 50 million of goods were damaged in the fire.
The blaze was finally extinguished with the help of Nepalese police, armed police forces, Nepalese army and local people, who worked through the night. Fire trucks from adjacent districts like Kapilavastu and Nawalparasi arrived at the scene after fire trucks from Bhairahawa, Butwal, Sainamaina, Lumbini, Gautam Buddha International Airport and Nepal Oil Corporation failed to mitigate the raging fire.
According to residents involved in fire control, the blaze took a long time to be brought under control due to lack of awareness and disaster management at the local level. In addition, a fire engine arrived at the scene was not even filled with water, while other fire trucks arrived too late.
Residents said the fire in the greenhouse in the middle of a populated village increases the risk of the fire spreading to other buildings. However, residents and security personnel were eventually able to extinguish the blaze.